Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I register for the Learn to Read online activities?
A. Please follow the following steps:
2. Click the "Register" button to create a MyHOP account.
3. Enter your information and click "Submit".
4. Enter the UPC code on the side of the box.
5. Enter your nickname and click "Submit".
6. On your My Readers page, you may click on each level of the program as your child uses it. This will take you to the progress path, where you can click on each lesson as your child finishes the lesson in the workbook to access games, downloadable content, videos, and book recommendations.
Q. How often should I use the program?
If you have any problems accessing MyHOP, please contact us at 1-888-605-5055 or email us at email@example.com
A. Each child is different. It depends on his attention span, ability, and eagerness to learn. The program is designed for children to work at their own pace. You can use it every day, or just a few times a week. Each lesson is designed to take less than 20 minutes but is flexible enough to accommodate your child’s individual learning style.
Q. How do I know if my child is ready for the Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read program?
If your child is between the ages of 3 and 8 and reading below a 3rd grade reading level, he should be ready to use this program, either to get ahead in his learning or to improve his reading skills.
Q. Where do I start in the Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read program?
If your child does not know all of the letter names and the sounds they make, or that the words ‘cat/bat’ and ‘dog/log’ rhyme, then start with the Pre-K level. If your child does know the letter names and sounds and can identify words that rhyme, then, start with the Kindergarten level. If your child finds the initial lessons to be easy, simply use these lessons as review and move quickly through them until he comes to lessons that are more challenging.
Q. What is the research behind Hooked on Phonics?
The Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read program uses systematic instruction and multisensory materials to help children learn to read. The instructional approach and techniques are based on current research about how children learn to read, and the levels build systematically from letters and sounds, then to words and sentences, and ultimately to reading fluency. For more information go to our Why It Works page
Q. What is the difference between the Learn to Read program and the Learn to Read Completes and Levels?
A. Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read is an 8-level program that takes children from letter names and sounds all the way through long-vowel sounds, complex vowels, consonant blends, and challenging sound combination. By the end of the program, your child should be reading at a second grade reading level. The Learn to Read Completes and Levels are components of this complete program. You do not have to purchase the Completes or Levels if you have the complete program.
Q. Does Hooked on Phonics help children with reading disabilities?
It was not designed to help children with learning disabilities, yet we hear from many families that it has been an effective tool for children with learning disabilities. We recommend you check out our product demo
and see how the product works so you can decide for yourself.
Q. Does my child need to know the alphabet?
No, your child doesn't need to know the alphabet. The Learn to Read program
will teach your child the alphabet. Flashcards are provided, with Visual Phonics videos on DVD. Your child will practice the alphabet in the first workbook, and with the online games; which have alphabet activities for your child to practice upper- and lower-case letters.
Q. Does it teach English?
A. The Learn to Read program was not designed for someone learning English since you must know and understand English to understand the words in the lessons. However, if someone is using English in school and understands English, they can use it not to learn the language, but to learn to read better.
Q. Does it teach spelling?
The Hooked on Spelling program
will teach your child basic spelling skills. Although spelling lessons are not included in the Learn to Read program, leading research shows that phonics instruction has been shown to improve spelling skills.
Q. Is Hooked on Phonics compatible with my child’s school curriculum?
It's always a great idea to talk with your child's teacher about his progress with our programs. Over 3 million families and thousands of schools have used our programs for more than 25 years. The new Learn to Read is now aligned with educational standards for all 50 states. For more information, please click here
Q. In what ways have the Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read program been updated from the original program?
- The updated Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read program aligns with the most current Common Core Standards for Reading Foundational Skills for Kindergarten through Second Grade, including:
1) Concepts of Print
2) Phonological Awareness
3) Letter-Sound Correspondence
4) High-Frequency Word Recognition
- The new version has many more layers to it. There is now something for every kind of learning style:
1) For Visual learners, there are DVDs with videos that illustrate the concepts as well as workbooks that allow children to follow along as they watch.
2) For Auditory learners, there are silly, sing-along songs to help children remember the concepts being taught.
3) For Physical (Kinesthetic) learners, there are flash cards and suggestions for off-the-page activities using real-world objects. In addition, there are online games that allow children to interact with the words and practice the skills.
- It comes with a library of 36 storybooks—some written by award-winning authors—that are custom-created for the purpose of setting the child up for reading success.
- It’s fun! The videos are cute. The songs are silly and catchy; they make the kids want to dance. The program is set up so that the child is rewarded at every step.
- The new Learn to Read now has a mobile app (of the same name), which allows families to help their kids learn how to read on smartphones and tablets.
Q. I’m having trouble using the program. How do I contact Hooked on Phonics for help?
You can contact our customer support department at 1-888-605-5055 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
and a customer support representative will be happy to assist you.